Monday, December 8, 2014

Day 4- First Aid 3- 12/8/2014

Welcome people of the internet. My name is Nate, and this is Med Ed. The show where you can save a life with a few clicks and some of your time. How you guys doing? Anyway, today is the last part of the first aid series where I'll be covering the stuff I missed.
  • EpiPen- Say you have a friend with a reaction to bees. You follow? Good. So, this friend gets stung. What do you do? They should have an EpiPen if they aren't stupid so I'll teach you how to use it.  EpiPens have a mix of a chemical called epinephrine and an agent that loosens the throat. DON'T STAB YOURSELF. You will be injured... terribly. The EpiPen should have a cap on it, so take it off. Stab the patient with the needle aiming for the middle of the thigh. Make sure there are no pocket items in the way. 
  •  CPR- For CPR, the rules change a lot, and I mean a lot. I find best not to mention what the rules of it are in case they change. I suggest looking it up. As far as defibrillators go, the AED device should instruct you what to do in a loud, obnoxious voice. You are not trained for real ones. Take any clothes off in between pad A and pad B while still preserving privacy. If someone has a band that says, "Do not defibrillate", they can sue you if you save their lives... yeah.
  • Finally, we come to the topic of... infections. Everyone's favorite thing. Since it is such an expansive and *interesting* topic, I'll just give you the link. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/injuries_and_poisoning/first_aid/wounds.html

No comments:

Post a Comment