Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 9- Lou Gehrig's Disease/ALS- 1/23/2015

Helllllllllo ladies and gentlemen. My name is Nate, and this is Med Ed. The only blog where you can save a life in a few clicks and some of your time. Today, I going to be discussing the sad reality of Lou Gehrig's disease. I find humor not very appropriate for this installment, so expect to see a more "sober" ,if you will, Nate. Let's get into it.
Most of you probably know this disease better as ALS. It gained a lot of support a few months ago with the "ice bucket challenge", but i doubt most of you have the slightest idea of what it is. 
ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease. It affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal chord. The degeneration of motor neurons eventually leads to death. With muscle action affected, the patient may become totally paralyzed. 
Doctors don't understand how ALS even comes to be. They have ideas but no proof. It has no cure, but has a drug that slows the progression called riluzole. Other than, they live an immobile life until they are claimed by the disease. 
It is estimated that 30,000 Americans are diagnosed at any given time. only 5% will last twenty years. Only 20% will last five years. It doesn't help that the treatments and medical care are over the top in price. 
That wraps up this episode in the Med Ed saga. I'll try to make my next post more light hearted. I'll see you guys next time. But first, if you need to know more information, go to http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html


2 comments:

  1. Hey nate, I really love your blog and I think its really interesting, but I was wondering, could you maybe do a post of CF (cystic fibrosis)?

    ReplyDelete